Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Collision and a few other things

It's been a while since I last posted since I've been combining the work with my two fellow coders into one single project. So far we've been doing great and we have a finished pre-alpha ready for tomorrows deadline.

My job this week was mainly collision but I have worked with a few other parts of the project as well. For the collision though we are going to have box vs line collision for the walls and later box vs box as well for props.
   My theory for box vs line collision was this:
  • First check if the player is on the same x or y coordinates as a wall.
  • If he is: see which side of the wall he is on, and if he moved with his current speed if he yould end up at the other side of the wall.
  • If he would: Change his speed so that he hits the wall instead.
I thought it was a simple enough theory and it wasn't difficult to write. I had some trouble at the start where I used the wrong variable, but that's just because I'm not used to name my variables this way we are doing it, so I got confused.

Other than that it's not much to tell. I implemented the tile system Viktor wrote and recode it so it read the tiles and walls in from a file. William fixed the rest and our artists drew what was needed.

Thanks for reading and stay awesome!

2 comments:

  1. Me again,

    I see that you are in a theory based discussion. You think to yourself how you can tackle the hardest part of programming a game and you've only written so little!

    The problem itself doesn't seem to be the problem but I am guessing you have really oversimplified it by describing it very narrowly. This is not as good as the last post you've written. I would have loved to see a UML diagram of some sorts.
    Still, you keep it simple and detailed in what you have thought of, I would love to see what comes next. How will your class look like? what kind of methods are you thinking of? what trouble did you find along the way that made you choose this solution(not any in particular) and how much you hate github(as much as me?).

    Your language is great and you have good form in the writing. Keep it up but writing more isn't a bad thing, I like reading walloftexts.

    Much love,
    Ladbon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ladbon,

      Thank you for your comment! You are correct, I should have written more and I will try to do this in the future, I guess having more explanatory images isn't such a bad thing either.

      Haha and GitHub yea, we don't use GitHub anymore. instead we manually merge our projects at the end of each week. It was very frustrating to get it to work and we gave up early after it screwed up our project for a second time! Damn it!

      Stay awesome dude!

      Delete